Tuesday, March 18, 2008

An Amazing Caribbean Adventure..........



















How can I properly explain this past week to you all and to give you the full extent of how incredible it all was? I don't think it is possible. This was the absolute, most amazing and memorable adventure I have had in years. The only other amazing and impressionable vacation I can think of that is comparable is when I went to Africa and I was 12.

What was so amazing about this? It was a trip to the islands, big deal? Well, unless you were there, it is so hard to portray the beauty, the dynamics, the passion, the fun, the laughter, the adventure, the lessons. It was more than a trip to the islands, at least for me. I want to start off by telling you about the people since this was the most important factor of making this trip so wonderful for me. The first 5 days, it was Suzette, John, Steve, Jordi, Josh and myself. John, Jordi and Steve are the three guys who sailed this 38 foot sailboat - named Audax - Latin for "bold" - from Maine to The USVI's / BVI's. John is the owner of Audax. Josh is a close friend of Jordi's from growing up who came on board when Molly's spot opened up. (She didn't make it down).
I was incredibly inspired by the Team Audax, (John, Jordi and Steve). It was admirable to see the dynamic between them. They set sail in late November, so at this point, they have been together 24/7 for the last 4 months in very close quarters. They had nothing but the utmost respect for each other. It was evident at how much bonding has happened between them. They have such passion for what they are doing and have established some really great traditions. They have "cocktail" hour together every night before dinner, (Diet Coke for Steve). They say grace before dinner each night, they spend time reading books that are creating opportunity for individual growth and group deep discussion. They have welcomed any one of their friends / family onto their floating home with open arms and made them feel like a part of Team Audax. There was never any tension or uncomfortable ANYTHING while we squeezed in to their lives for 7 days. It was nothing but a warm, happy and enjoyable environment. I couldn't believe how accommodating, easy going / patient and excited they were. Even though I did not know John or Jordi before coming onto their boat, they treated Suzette and I like we were old friends.
My observation of this trip for them is all about seeking adventure, self discovery, growth and creating lasting memories. I learned a lot from their dynamic and passion. It was so exciting for me. Have you ever been on a trip or had an experience that is humbling and brings you back to basics? I have had a few throughout life and I feel that it is so very important to go through that as much as possible. For a lot of people, it is easy to go through life and forget about the simple things, to appreciate what is around you, to be thankful and to be humble.

This trip helped me to bring it back to basics. There were times of no showers, budget watching and being careful with food / water. We were all on top of each other so it was important for all of us to be courteous with regards to making sure everyone was happy with the daily program, giving each other space, etc. But to be honest, that part was so easy and came naturally for everyone because we were all just so excited to hang out with each other and be on this adventure; to see and do it all.

I have mentioned before on an earlier post that what I love about travel is I always meet interesting people. I feel like meeting John and Jordi was really great as well as Jordi's friend Josh. Josh was really nice, funny, fun, etc. He has a lot going for him. He is on the US Snowboard team for racing, which of course from being a competitive snowboarder myself at one point in my life, I thought that was really cool. I was really involved in that industry at one time and we ended up knowing a lot of the same people. (Small world). He also is currently in school taking CAD classes to help out his Dad at their family business. On top of that, he is a certified diver, runs, plays tennis, wakeboards, flies - is currently learning how to fly a helicopter, etc. etc. I don't think there is anything that kid doesn't do - seriously! He was fun to talk to.

Outside of all of the deep stuff - this trip was fantastic with the scenery, where we went, what we did, what we ate, what we talked about, the list goes on. I have been down to St. John before, but stayed on that one island for an entire week. Being on a sailboat, allowed us to move around and see it all. We went from St. Thomas, to Jost Van Dyke, to Peter Island, to Norman Island, to Tortola, then finally to St. John. It was incredible. We ate lots of yummy seafood, we swam in the beautiful blue water, snorkeled, explored Tortola island by car, went out dancing, cooked for each other, poached resort amenities, drank yummy fruity drinks, had deep chats with each other, had lots of laughs. It was so fun. We had a few "hiccups" with a little too much to drink, one of the visitors - I will not name names - vomiting all over the boat and on a few of the Team Audax members, as well as another visitor putting more than T.P down the toilet and backing it up where it had to be worked on for a few hours to get it back to working condition. You should read the post Steve has on his blog about the "poopy juice". A very unpleasant experience for the team!! It is amazing how close everyone becomes once you are all elbow deep in each others shit and vomit. After those two events happened -and they happened within the first two days of the trip, we were all undressing in front of each other, rubbing lotion all over each other, sharing personal stories, etc. It was like we all have known each other forever.


I remember specifically how much Suzette and I were enjoying taking in the beautiful views of the ocean, the sunsets and 4 hot men night after night hanging out in nothing but their boxer shorts. Ahhhhh, to be 2 single women aboard close quarters with 4 hot men - we liked the odds! ;-) LOL!

In all seriousness, it was an amazing adventure, something I will never forget. I am so glad I was on this trip with my close girlfriend, Suzette. She is awesome. We had a great time. She is going to come to Maine this summer to visit me. I am super excited. She also seemed to hit it off well with John. I especially enjoyed the company of my special man, Steve. He is so wonderful. I will reserve a blog post specifically for him at a later date....but he and I have grown very close over the last couple of months. This is not the last you will be hearing about Steve, it is only the beginning.

The last two days of the trip, John's sister, Bryn and her boyfriend, Ethan joined us - making it 8 people on the boat!! Whoa!! It was tight! I didn't get to know them as well, unfortunately, but we all had a great time together. It was Saint Patty's in St. John....so it was hard to not have a good time!! :-)


From this point forward, I will let the pictures speak for themselves. I have a ridiculous amount of pictures that I want to share with you. It was such a fun trip that is was really hard to narrow it down.


I miss you guys!!! Thank you so much for including me in your adventure!! It was INCREDIBLE!!

Please have safe travels, have an amazing time on the rest of your endeavour, but come home soon!!


XOXOXO



ENJOY.



















They let me sail Audax once.....but my boat driving skills are on motor boats. It didn't last long, I was too distracted and couldn't keep wind in the sails properly and made Steve crazy. He took over. ;-)

























This picture is for Skip....he always complains that I am too modest in a bathing suit. This is the only time you get to see it Skip!!! ;-P
























Date night for Steve and I. :-)






















A kick ass band that rocked Saint Pattys!!

























This is Steve practicing his moves after learning from John......






Steve Pole Dancing for all of us........pure entertainment!!
























Getting down at the Helm..... Go Stevey, It's your birthday........


























Suzette had too much sun on this day, but still wanted to lay out. This look is all the rage in the Middle East - Suzette you are so IN!












Suzette likes to leap a lot........Yippiee!!!



















Rastafarain advice for Steve...."only lay a hand on her if it is gentle and kind".....after inquiring if I was, "his lady". He also informed Steve that he would come find him if he heard he wasn't being kind to me. "THAT'S RIGHT!!" ;-)












I think this is the larget pair of panites I have seen in my life!!!!!!!

This is John looking for nuts....but was quickly reminded that he had two of his own after he slipped and smashed them on the trunk of this tree. OUCH!





For my Sunday River peeps.....representing!!!





















Our Hot and Sexy rental car......





























































"Audax to Road Town, over. Audax coming in for provisions, currently in the "Red Zone". Need Cheetos, Red Bull and Coffee, STAT!!"



Suzette and I enjoyed posing for the camera......












This is me giving Steve Booty Dance Lessons......










No comments: