Tuesday, October 14, 2008

My love affair with the city and redneck living......

I have been spending a lot of time in Portland with Michael which has been a lot of fun. I have always loved Portland, but have never spent enough time there to really get to know it. When I lived in Georgetown, I used to go to Portland for dinner now and then, but that was it.

Michael lives in a great location, right in Back Bay which is so convenient to downtown as well as the ocean, Falmouth, Freeport, etc. These are all places that we spend a lot of time together. We recently have spent some time doing true "Maineah" activities. Dirt Biking, Four Wheeling (in trucks) and deep sea Tuna fishing. Michael has also been going duck hunting with his buddies....but I am all set with that. I am happy to oblige him to have time with the guys when they start planning the "big hunt".

Here are some pictures of the guys from their duck hunting adventures:


Erik is very proud of his success......







But I love how he and I run off and do all these "Redneck" activities, but then go out in about in the city or Portland at night. It has been so much fun. I have met a lot of really nice people. Michael has some great friends that also love to go out. We have a great time. We spend a lot of time dining out or hitting the local scene. I am really getting to know Portland pretty well. It seems like anywhere we go, Michael knows someone. It has been so much fun.


I also love that Michael has as much - actually more - energy than I do and can go, go, go. He always wants to be off on an adventure. He and I do many of the same activities which is awesome and so hard to come by.


Below are some pictures of our Redneck adventures so far:




One thing that Michael had not done yet was dirt bike. I guess his parents were pretty strict about letting him ride a motorcycle when he was younger so he never tried it as a kid and just never ended up getting into it later in life. I taught him and he learned really quickly. He really enjoyed it. He was flying around in high gear in no time.






Finny came along. He goes everywhere with Michael. He is a great dog. So super cute and very well behaved. Well, except for the jumping on the furniture and the chewing of pillows. I am trying to get him to grow out of that. ;-)


One day we went four wheeling on the power lines in Falmouth. It was so much fun. Michael and his buddy Erik grew up in that area, so they new of some dirt roads they could take their trucks on. We went in Michael's Toyota 4 Runner, Erik's antique Land Rover Defender and Ryan's Antique Toyota FJ Land Cruiser. It was so much fun.




We went over the craziest terrain. We went over huge rocks, deep puddles, up and down steep terrain it was hilarious. We had a blast.


Here are some pics of our four wheeling adventure. You can see the terrain really well in most of these shots.








The two Antiques.....very nice!! These are two awesome old school off road vehicles.



Michael driving while rocking his redneck look.....no shirt and a camo hat....classic! You can see a little of Finny Fur.....he came along for the ride too. Of Course!!

















Talk about an adrenaline rush! This job would kick ass!! While we were out driving around, we stopped for a bit in one spoke where the power lines opened up to check stuff out. Then we noticed this helicopter swooping super close to the tops of the poles. Then we noticed that it was dropping off and picking up workers that were doing something to the lines. How cool! All these guys had to do was stand on the rails on the outside of the copter until they were dropped off onto the next pole. I was so jealous! It looked like so much fun!!


Many of you who know me, know that I am not a morning person by any stretch of the imagination. Michael wanted to go tuna fishing with his brother, John one morning. This entails us to be on the boat ready to go with bags and food packed by 6:30 am! I don't know how we pulled it off with having three dogs to take care of in the morning, getting lunches packed for the whole boat, (there were 4 of us) and getting there on time. We did it though and it was FUN!
This is John's boat, "Bumpers Out"....he is also a water taxi in the summer out to the islands.



Portland is so pretty this early when the sun is starting to come up......

Yes, I know....I look a little tired. No time for showers here!




You can see the sun starting to come up as we head out to sea..........


The Portland Head Lighthouse before the sun comes up......so pretty.



This is John making sure all is well.....scanning for Tuna activity.







This is the "bait" they use to attract the big ones.........


John and Michael checking out the radar for activity..........

It ended up being a really cloudy day, this is the Portland Head on our way back in..........

We didn't end up catching anything, but it was so fun to be out on the water so early. It was so beautiful.
Another weekend, we actually went wakeboarding. It was flippin freezing though because it was getting to be late October.....brrrrrr!! I wanted to go so bad though so I didn't care.


Michael wanted to go too...but he prefers to be towed on a surfboard. We were both freezing, but had a great time.

Our friend, Ryan wanted to go swiming....but he was way more prepared and much warmer than us.
Michael has a buddy who is a commercial Lobsterman. His boat is enormous and they joke that it is an Aircraft Carrier.
This is Brent's boat, it is awesome! Quite the party boat:




This is the crew on Michael's boat. He has a fun boat as well.

Some of the fun new people I have been meeting,
This is Katie and Kevin:

Kevin and Ryan............ahhhhh, isn't that cute?

This is me trying to thaw my feet on Michael's boat after wakboarding. I thinnk they were numb for atleast an hour. Yikes!


Kevin and Michael.....looking for Mermaids.

Kevin, Ryan and Michael.........


Ryan and Katie............


Brent and Ryan......Brent owns the enormous lobsterboat.

That is all for now. It has taken me forever to do these posts because, as you can see, I have been so busy eversince I started seeing Michael. We spend a ton of time together and always have something going on. It has been tough to do my blog. I will try to keep it going as much as possible. I will be leaving soon to go to Cambodia to visit Suzette. She is on her 3 month adventure as we speak. She has already spent 1 month in Nepal and is loving it. I can't wait to go see her. I will be doing a post about Cambodia as soon as I can.

I will have a Madonna post soon as well as our trip to Colorado. We have also gone snowboarding since my last post and I have pics of that too. Sooo much to talk about!
I hope to do another post soon....have a happy and healthy holiday season.

Until next time.....
Namaste'

No comments: